Friday, August 13, 2010

Should I Really Recommend That?

For a while now Mark has been very unhappy working for this trucking company. They are not well run and the main person that gives out loads is a major game player. Plus when Mark was hired he was told he would make between $700 and $1000 a week. Terrific! We'd finally catch up on our back rent and other bills! YEAH FLIPPIN' RIGHT! Mark is making nowhere near that much money. In fact he makes less than what my mom makes and we have a lot more expenses.

The newest fun from the office is telling Mark he is heading home then changing it at the last minute. They've done this many, many times. Last week he was to come home late on Thursday. On Thursday morning the wonderful wicked witch called him to say she needed him to take another load to the other side of the state. That load wouldn't deliver until Friday and he wouldn't be back until Saturday. Unfortunately for the wicked witch mark ran out of hours and could not deliver that load. To punish him for that, they gave his truck to another driver to use. They couldn't tell him when the truck would be back but that Mark did have a load that had to be delivered at 5am Wednesday morning. The truck finally came back to the yard sometime after 8pm Monday night. My kids are in bed by that time and I could not drive him the half an hour to get the truck. Instead he left at the crack of dawn on Tuesday. This made the wicked witch mad and as soon as he delivered the load she shut him down. He sat for more than 24 hours doing absolutely nothing! He called me very upset because of this crap.

Finally last night he was given a load coming to Michigan. The place he was picking up was running way behind and it took longer than it should have to load his truck. This turned out to be a HUGE miracle! While he was waiting a fire started in his truck! Had he gotten his load on time he would have immediately gone to take a nap. The fire would have broken out while he was sleeping. The reason for the fire??? The wonderful grease monkeys that don't actually know how to work on big trucks "fixed" his air conditioning with some tape and other junk. That is what started the fire. A fire that could have killed my husband. Because the company is too CHEAP to actually hire big truck mechanics! The best part is that this is the SECOND fire he has had while working for this company! A couple of months ago they tightened the brakes far too tight on the trailer and they caught on fire while he was driving down the the road. It required firetrucks and police. The brakes had been tightened so tight that several hours later they were still red hot.

Soooo...where does this leave us? As I mentioned before we are at a point where we have to move or come up with A LOT of money to pay our back rent. Of course at this point we don't have money. Not to move and not to pay the back rent. Granted I WANT to move. I hate this house and it is infested with spiders. It just all comes down to money.

But....Do I want to have my husband work at a place where he is making very little money and risks being killed by stupidity? Not to mention the stress from the game playing. Oh and they like to withhold checks as punishment which is illegal in Michigan. That is why they won't mail the check or direct deposit it. They us it as a way to keep you in line...their line. I did look it up though and it is illegal to withhold a paycheck for work already completed. Mark is looking for a new job but it is difficult to do from the road. He had an interview scheduled for today but had to cancel it because of the game playing. I think he got it rescheduled though. Truthfully at this point he would probably make more money working two part time jobs then working for these clowns. Plus we would have him home with us. He could look for a good paying full time job while working part time and actually spending time with his family.

So I told my husband today that I felt he should quit this job. I do not want my husband to go through another fire in that damn truck. I do not want him stressed to the point of breakdown because of the craziness of the wicked witch. I don't want him missing interviews for better jobs. I know, I KNOW this is a crazy idea. I know we have no money and no home. I know!!! But Mark is my rock, the father of my children and without him I would be lost. He is what keeps me from careening down the rapids. I NEED him. Not to mention the children need him. Last night I prayed about this. I knew telling him to quit was a foolish thing. I prayed that this was the right decision. Then this morning Mark called me and told me about the fire. Somehow I saw that as a smoke signal saying get out while you can.

1 comment:

Essie said...

God is on your side lady!Thank goodness Mark is alright. If I were you I would call a lawyer. Most of them give free consultations. Tell them about the fires and the withheld paychecks. You might want to look on-line to see what your rights are about the state of your home. Here in Washington it is the legal responsibility of the landowner to take care of ANY infestations. When I asked my landlords to do anything I would print out a copy of the tenant/landlord code and mail it along with a written request with "copy" indicated on both pieces of paper.