Wednesday, January 30, 2013

A Doctor!

Since we've moved down here a year and a half ago we have not been able to find doctors in the area. No one here takes our insurance. Well, that isn't entirely true. There is a Spanish speaking clinic and a free clinic in a terrible part of town that will take us, but that is it.

I spoke with the insurance company and they said that we could go pretty much anywhere as long as the office was willing to bill our insurance. I found one in our town that listed the insurance on their website. When I called them though, holy cow! You'd think I had asked them to part the sea! Talk about rude and nasty. The woman on the phone was absolutely offend that I suggested that they take the insurance. I told her it is on their website. Hmm, as for her answer...the gist of it being that I must not be able to read. Customer service must not be high on their list. I wouldn't go there even if they did accept our insurance.

I would check the insurance site once a week in the hope that a new one would pop up. Then one week I got a shock. New doctors! Only 20 minutes from our house! I immediately called Mark with the info so he could call for an appointment. He was in the most need of going. He called and yes, they just started taking the insurance. Mark would be the first one signed up. He went in and liked the doctor, the office and how things were handled. We decided to sign the kids up, too. Unfortunately, I have a different insurance plan then Mark and the kids, so I didn't get to sign up. Still, happiness for a doctor nearby!

We took the kids in for a well child check-up. The office was easy to get to and nice. They even have a big room that is all play area for kids. The doctor we saw (the same one Mark saw) was excellent and easily handled my three monkeys.

Thankfully, we found this office. At the appointment the doctor found that Irene had a very swollen lymph node on her right side. Since she had been sick two weeks before the appointment we all figured it was from that. The doctor said to keep an eye on it. About two week later she told me her neck hurt. The huge gland was still there, but a hard, marble-like node had popped up lower down her neck. A day later another one popped out between the marble one and the huge one.

We went back to the doctor. This time it was the other doctor in the practice. He was also very good with her. He measured the lymph nodes and also found that her tonsil on that side is swollen. Since she has no other symptoms he couldn't give a definite diagnosis. We are on a 'wait and see' for six weeks. It is possible that the infection she had back at Christmas just settled in those glands and it is taking a while for them to go down. If they go away and no other symptoms or problems appear then all is good. If they don't go away or if other symptoms appear then we'll do the invasive tests. The ultrasound and blood draws. Of course, he mentioned the dreaded c-word. Still, he'd rather go with the simple infection idea. Frankly, so would us all.

Now we wait. While I worry and am nervous, checking her neck every day, she runs around like a normal little girl. Loving life and school and being especially dramatic.

1 comment:

Nicole said...

Thanks, Danielle! It is such a relief to have the kids and Mark in with a doctor nearby.

Irene came downstairs last night saying that her throat hurt. I looked with a flashlight and her tonsil still looks nasty. I'm wondering if she doesn't have a case of tonsilitis. When I was 23 I every month I had it but I never had a fever just lots of pain and swelling. I finally had to have them out. It seems like that could very well be the issue here. Of course, I'm just guessing.