Tuesday, February 27, 2018

Blankets for the Kids!




I have anxiety. One of the ways I combat the really bad episodes is to find a way to distract my brain with videos. In particular, how to crochet videos on youtube. I've knitted since I was 7 years old, but I've never wanted to crochet. This all changed in December when I, quite by accident, came across videos from The Crochet Crowd on youtube. Mikey makes videos on how to crochet certain stitches or patterns. I love his slightly awkward self. He is hugely popular and has big name sponsors. There are crochet cruises and get-togethers.

Anyway, I watch the videos and they provide enough mental stimulation to interest and distract my brain. However, I suddenly had a NEED to crochet blankets. During Christmas break my mother-in-law took me and the kids to JoAnn's to shop for yarn. Yes, I have never crocheted before, but I was going to make each of my children a blanket, dammit!

We found Bernat Blanket yarn, a crochet hook, and a sale at JoAnn's. Gavin picked three colors he wanted, and I paid for 6 balls (giant balls!) of it. Seriously, it is super bulky yarn and 6 balls is like 1320 yards.

I cast on a chain of 90 stitches and went to it. It was awkward to get used to holding the crochet hook. Still, I  double chained along and 5 days later I had a super long, super warm blanket for Gavin.

We immediately went back to JoAnn's to let Henry and Irene pick out their colors. Their blankets took even less time than Gavin's. I was on a roll!

My kids each got a warm blanket that will fit them into adulthood. For as long as the yarn lasts, this blanket will stay with them.

No comments: