Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Worry

I thought today was going to be just another day. Not much to do today aside from our usual schedule. The kids and I were planning on company for dinner so I was trying to straighten up toys and newspapers. Then just as cleaning was starting I got a call from my mother informing me that my older brother was at the hospital in Lansing because of severe pain in his arm. Well. Great. What's the first thing you think of when you hear severe pain in arm? Heart attack. That was all the info she had. But I'm thinking that he is only going to be 35 so it can't be that. I hope.
I called my dad. He is living with my brother until his place is ready. Thankfully he had the info. Last night Matt's elbow started hurting a lot. It had been bothering him for a couple weeks but around bedtime it was so painful that he could not lift it up to take his shirt off. At 5am my sister-in-law, Kaye, woke my dad to say she was taking Matt to the hospital. It had gotten worse and had swelled. My dad would stay with their 8 month old son Eric.
We are now playing the family version of "telephone". Kaye calls my dad with news and he calls me. I call my mom and text my younger brother Pete. The last news from the hospital was at 11 this morning. The pain was so bad that Matt kept passing out. When he came to he was confused. They did tests for stroke and heart attack but those came back fine. They wanted to do an MRI but Matt couldn't get his arm over his head. The rest of his arm has swollen up as well so an orthopedic surgeon is going to drain the elbow. Thankfully he has been given a lot of morphine so he is finally starting to feel better. The hospital is keeping him overnight. As to the cause of this problem and what happens next we have yet to be informed. The mind runs through all the terrible things this could be. I am hopeful that this is going to be a simple, silly little thing that just happened to escalate into a major problem.
Please send your hopes and prayers his way.
Thank you!

1 comment:

Lori Anne Haskell said...

Yay! You have a blog! That's awesome. Hugs to you and sending get well vibes to your bro!