Thursday, September 10, 2009

When Life gets You Down

Yesterday was Henry's first day of preschool but I want that to be its own happy post. This one is an update on the weekly crap happening in our life.
It has been almost a full two months that my husband has been out of work. That's a long time to go with no money. We saw a poster about section 8 housing and how they can help you with your rent. Great! We need help! Called them...they'll send us an application but they currently have a year long waiting list. Sooooo I guess if we can get someplace to live for a year before paying them then we'll be ok. Right. That leaves us in the same boat as before and it's a boat quickly taking on water.
Yesterday I called MichiganEnrolls to sign Henry up for a health plan on Medicaid. He is the only one that got a letter stating he had to be on a health plan by September 12th. I found out that even though only Henry was listed I was suppose to figure out that Henry meant henryirenenicolemark. I called my doctor and their doctor to find out what health plans they take. They took took several and thankfully they had one in common. This is important since the new baby will be automatically put onto the health plan I am on.
So I informed the MichiganEnrolls (oh so helpful) person that we all wanted to be on this particular plan. Oh but wait...that health plan had a cut off date of September 4th and I called on the ninth. When I raised a stink about this, saying NO WHERE on the letter did it say that this health plan had an earlier cut off date, I got a snotty response that basically meant "too bad."
I put the children on the other plan that their doctor takes. I was told that I had 90 days to change the baby's health plan. Of course they couldn't guarantee that the health plan I needed would be available though. I decided to take a chance that one of those plans would be available. BUT then I found out that since the baby goes on my health plan the VERY SECOND he is born that the pediatrician I have for my other children cannot be there or be his doctor because I will not be on that correct health plan. I was told I had two choices...1. I could change doctors. I am just over 5 weeks from the birth of this baby. The birth will be by planned c-section (my third) by the same doctor I have had for my first two children. I also have issues with post partum depression that my doc is well aware of and has an after birth plan in place for this. So my question is this what doctor would take me as a patient now? I am considered a liability at this point in pregnancy. So that leaves option 2. Find a different doctor for the new baby. Now I realize that I am picky and may be making a big deal out of this and that others may not think this a problem BUT I picked my children's doctor for a reason. Our doctors are not in the same city as we live in. We drive an hour to see them. These doctors are good and I feel good about the care they give my children. Now I am told that my newest child can not have that same care because the state could not be bothered to give me the correct cut off info. I am suppose to find a new pediatrician that takes my health plan and is as good as the other doctors. Of course none of these doctors list their medicaid health plans in the yellow pages.
I am so upset over this and spent a good part of yesterday in tears. Please pardon my language but the state is itself and has turned this into a giant clusterfuck.
Every week we have another problem. No one seems to care. My mom with what little money she can spare has tried to help where she can. My husband has applied for jobs everyday. Any job, anywhere. It is very hard to try and stay positive especially when some members of my family are more concerned with their vacations and new "toys." I am not asking them to fix my life but it would be nice if they could pretend to care about what happens to us.
Okay...enough wallowing. I am trying not be get bogged down into others lack of compassion.
So there is the update.

1 comment:

Ashley said...

wow that is absolutely ludicrous! how in the world can they tell a pregnant lady with five weeks to go, oops sorry you have to change doctors?!?!?!?!?!?!?

i sincerely hope things are figured out soon and that you are able to have a safe and happy delivery. you and baby boy deserve that!

i can't wait to see you, whenever that may be!