Monday, October 27, 2008

Our Grand Rapids Weekend. Part Two.

Continuing on the we really should have gone home theme...Mark woke me at 6am. He was in pain and thought he had a kidney stone. While I felt bad for him there is nothing I could do and I was a bit cranky at being woken up an hour before the kids would be up. He went down to the pool to sit in the hot tub. Lovely. I could not fall back asleep. Hmmm. He came up an hour later claiming to feel a bit better. So we trotted down to the lobby for breakfast. I love listening to other people while in a restaurant-like setting. There are always self important people spouting off about their self important whatevers. We had a woman like that sitting near us. SO I got my laugh for the day :-)

After breakfast we went to the John Ball Zoo. I was amazed at the price. Only ten dollars for the four of us! The zoo was just the right size for someone Henry's age to walk through without getting tired. We saw Penguins, tiger, lions, bears, wort hogs, monkeys, lizards. The weather was chilly but sunny so walking wasn't bad. I highly recommend it! The kids loved it. After the zoo we ate at a new little restaurant called Johnny's Lunch. It was a pretend old time diner. Cute. We all had a hot dog and fries.

After lunch we went back to the room for naps. Henry went to sleep after a lot of horsing around. Irene never did sleep. Although I blame that on Mark. She needs quiet and he opened up a package then shaved with electric razor. He made a lot of noise. Then he decided to go back to the hot tub cause his back hurt again. Now normally I would have tried to be understanding about this but never once was it okay for just me to go to the hot tub. I would have loved to sit in it and relax. My neck has a permanent injury and the hot tub would have been great...ANYWAY...when he came back to the room I decided to dose off for a bit since I was tired from getting up early. Needless to say Mark and I were not on great terms...

For dinner we went to Chuck-E-Cheese. Henry loves the commercials. We ordered the pizza and 100 tokens. The pizza was...blah but then I don't think you go there for the food. Of course Mark was still in pain and rather cranky. Henry was wanting to do everything and Roo wanted to tag along. We did end up having a good time. We left about two hours later with three fake sharks and some suckers. Surprisingly there were a lot of things both kids could do. Rides just for little ones and games. I'm just glad there isn't on in town. I would hate to drive by it on a regular basis and listen to the kids shouting to go there :-) Oh and Mark passed his kidney stone there too.

After dinner it was back to the room and down to the pool. Since it was Sunday night there was only one small girl and her mother at the pool. Yippee! Had a lovely, relaxing time. The next morning it was breakfast again then we threw some laundry into the guest washer/dryer. After that we checked out and went to the Rivertown Crossing Mall in Grandville. We were going to ride on the carousal but it was closed. Went to Barnes and Noble and got Mark was books to take on the road with him. We decided to have lunch at Red Robin since it was across the street from the mall. Fun place but we had a terrible time. Henry had a major break down. I had to go to the car with him in the pouring rain so neither of us finished lunch.

When we left there we went back to Mark's truck. Of course it was still pouring rain and I had to run across the parking lot to use the bathroom. And Henry fell asleep just before we got there and we had to wake him. Grrrr...don't wake a sleeping child. Then it was off for home. I was exhausted and when we got back to town we stopped at the store to pick up food. It was an early bedtime that night!

Thankfully this weekend we are not staying in Grand Rapids. In fact it has taken all week just to get this kids settled back in the routine. Oh no. No over nights out of town for a bit. But it will be Halloween and Daddy should be home to go out with us! Yippee!

No comments: