Sunday, January 18, 2009

Disappointment

Today is the day of my nephew's first birthday...and we are not there :-( The weather yesterday was terrible. We got at least of foot of snow and the roads were never plowed. It is a three hour drive to get to Matt's house and we would have to have left at 9am. Last night we had tentatively decided not to go but if the weather was better in the morning we would try. Of course this morning it was snowing again. The Weather Channel said we were not getting snow which made us laugh because huge flakes were tumbling down like crazy. We debated it as the snow piled up outside. I talked to my hubby who was in the state last night and left it this morning. The roads were terrible for him. So we decided it was best not to risk it since we would be taking the kids with us. I was very disappointed. Very.
Then around 11am it stopped snowing and the damn sun came out. The roads still look crappy but it isn't snowing. Ahhhhh! I can't win. So now I am kicking myself for not going. But I am trying to think of the fact that we would have to drive back in the dark and it could start snowing again at anytime. Plus I keep thinking about the last time I drove to Grand Rapids to pick up Mark. Thankfully the kids were not with me or I would have turned around. That was the scariest drive. Not one I want to repeat.
On Thursday I am suppose to pick up Mark. We have made a plan to drive the extra hour to Matt's to see them. Provided the weather is good...
Anyway, here are a couple of pictures Matt sent me of Eric's cake. Eric's aunt Becky made the cake and the cupcakes. They sure look good!


Edited to add...It was on the radio that we got a foot and a half of snow. Also the state police said to stay off the roads. Wasn't worth risking the kids.

3 comments:

Lori Anne Haskell said...

that cake is absolutely adorable. So creative! Sorry you guys could not go, but I agree that you have to be careful on roads like these. Hugs.

Nicole said...

I so wish we had gone now that it is sunny...but it was snowing so much then. And thanks for the hugs!

Shannon said...

how cute..great cake. I am travelling on Thursday also...just to Holland..but I will be thinking about you. Be safe! I still have that coupon, BTW, and the doubling is still going on....shall I bring it by?